In 1983, Victor Markiewicz presented to the Library his wife Mary's collection of 1,017 children's books and supplemental works. Soon after, Mr. Markiewicz established an endowed fund to support the collection. This gift was followed by a contribution from the Carrier Corporation of Syracuse that doubled the amount of the original gift. In May 2003, the Library received an additional bequest from the estate of Victor Markiewicz in the amout of $213,000. This collection is housed in the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections in Rush Rhees Library.
Endowed Funds - M
Sarah Long McGuire, the daughter of Rowland Long, a railroad man who came to Rochester from England in May 1859, lived in Rochester until the death of her father and stepmother in 1907. Sarah and her husband, George, an inventor who made a fortune in the steel industry, moved to Cleveland, New York and Miami, and in 1924 returned to Rochester. After the death of her husband, Sarah managed the property and investments left to her in George’s estate. Sarah was a keen business woman who recognized the advantages of higher education and felt that she could have handled her financial affairs much better if she had attended college. Sarah became interested in the University of Rochester through the Greater University Drive. On May 1, 1926, the Democrat & Chronicle reported President Rush Rhees’ announcement of the George W. and Sarah McGuire Loan Fund to assist young women studying at the University of Rochester Women’s College. The Fund was created through her gift of Standard Oil Company securities, and a portion of this Fund was restricted to purchase books from San Francisco’s Grabhorn Press. An exhibition of these books was held from March to May 1960 in the Lobby of Rush Rhees Library.
Joyce Mitchell Melissinos graduated with honors in English from Mount Holyoke College, and from the Harvard-Radcliffe Program in Business Administration. She received both an MA (’66) and PhD (’95) in English Literature from the University of Rochester. Joyce taught for several years in the Liberal Arts College of the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Joyce contributed much time to several community organizations many serving as president or chair, including the Rochester Association for the United Nations, Rochester Committee for the American Farm School in northern Greece, Young Audiences of Rochester, and The National Board of Young Audiences in New York (which she served for eighteen years). Joyce was a member of the Friends of the University of Rochester Libraries, and served as president from 2002 to 2007.
The memorial fund was created for the acquisition of books and other materials on Eighteenth Century Literature, which was Joyce’s field, in Rare Books and Special Collections.
This fund supports a fellowship in the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. Income from the endowment provides a stipend for a graduate student or an undergraduate student to work in the department organizing and classifying a part of the Library's uncataloged manuscript collections. Miss Melvin's pledge was matched by Chase Bank. Miss Melvin received her bachelor's degree in economics from the University in 1951, and a MBA from New York University in 1961. She has served as a member of the College's Trustees' Council and is currently an Honorary Trustee Council member. A member of the Library's Visiting Committee for many years, she is a member of the Libraries' Advisory Council.
The Merritts were dedicated supporters of the Rush Rhees Library and the University of Rochester, and were Life Members of the Friends of the University of Rochester Libraries. Florence received a master’s degree in history from the University of Rochester, taught in the University School, and specialized in antique textiles, quilts, coverlets, and photographica. The fund was established by the estates of Florence and Howard Merritt to support the Art and Music Library of Rush Rhees Library for the fine arts.
The Merritts were dedicated supporters of the Rush Rhees Library and the University of Rochester, and were Life Members of the Friends of the University of Rochester Libraries. Howard was Professor Emeritus of the Art History Department of the University of Rochester, with expertise in the field of 19th century Italian painting and 19th century American landscape painting, particularly that of the Hudson River School. The Merritts possessed a specialized knowledge of rare books and prints, and often donated rare books to the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. The fund was established by the estates of Florence and Howard Merritt to support the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
A longtime supporter of the libraries, Martin E. Messinger funded the 1998 restoration of the periodical reading room the 2005 renovation of the reference and circulation desk area, and the creation of two graduate students study rooms, which were both dedicated in May 2010. The Messinger family also is a generous supporter of the Center for Jewish Studies, the Debate Union, and the Eastman School of Music, where the family funded the building containing the Eastman Community Music School, dedicated in the memory of Anne Waltuck Messinger. In 2011, the Messinger family endowed the position of Dean of the Eastman School of Music.
The Award was created to honor a librarian or library staff member for outstanding service that goes above and beyond the usual expectations and honors contributions that advance the educational mission of the library or the library profession.
Robert Metzdorf received his bachelor's degree in English from Rochester in 1933 and was the first recipient of a Ph.D. in English from the University in 1939. He was a founding member of the Friends of the Libraries and was the first chair of the Trustees' Library Visiting Committee. During the course of his career, he worked for the libraries at Rochester, Harvard, and Yale, and eventually became a vice president and director at Parke-Bernet Galleries in New York. From 1964 until his death in 1975, he was a nationally recognized appraiser of manuscripts and books. At the time of his death, family and friends established an endowed fund in his memory to support the purchase of 18th and 19th century English and American books and manuscripts.
This fund was established for the purchase of books in the field of history and historical biography.
This fund was established by Dr. Robert S. Moehlman in memory of his father, Conrad H. Moehlman. The fund is to support the purchase of books in religious studies at the University of Rochester.
Lewis H. Morgan was born in Aurora in 1818 and graduated from Union College, Schenectady, NY, in 1840. He then came to Rochester and spent the remainder of his life here as an attorney.
Mr. Morgan has been called the father of social anthropology. His first book, League of the Iroquois, is an authoritative account of the Iroquois Nation. Upon his death in 1881, Mr. Morgan left his estate to the University of Rochester to be used for the "higher education of women." He also gave the University his personal papers, manuscripts of his published works, unpublished manuscripts, and correspondence.
The Florence E. and Marion D. Mosher fund was established from the estate of Florence E. Mosher to purchase books and materials for the Rush Rhees Library.