African American Studies
Rush Rhees Library
- African & African-American Studies
- Index to Black Newspapers (later Black Newspapers Index) Rhees Reference Stacks AI3.I46
- African American National Biography
Rhees Reference Stacks E185.96 .A4466 2008
- University of Rochester Frederick Douglass Project
This project seeks to digitize all of the Frederick Douglass materials held in the collections of the University of Rochester Library.
- The Encyclopedia of Civil Rights in America
Rhees Reference Stacks E185.61 .E544
- Historical Dictionary of the Civil Rights Movement
Rhees Reference Stacks E185.61 .L84
- Black Demographic Data, 1790-1860: A Sourcebook
Rhees Reference Stacks E185.18 .C73
- The Black Population: 2010
African American demographic data/statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Historical Statistics of Black America
Compiled & Edited by Jessie Carney Smith and Carell Peterson Horton. Gale research, 1995.
Rhees Reference Stacks E185 .H543 1995
- The African American Encyclopedia (2nd ed.)
Rhees Reference Stacks E185 .A253 2001
- The African American Mosaic
A Library of Congress resource guide for the study of Black history and culture.
- Archives of African American Music and Culture
AAAMC is an Indiana University center "devoted to the collection, preservation, and dissemination of materials for the purpose of research and study of African-American music and culture."
- Chronology of African-American History: Significant Events and People from 1619 to the Present
Rhees Reference Stacks E185 .H64 1991
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History: The Black Experience in the Americas
Rhees Reference Stacks E185.E54 2006
- The Historical and Cultural Atlas of African Americans
Rhees Reference Stacks E185 .A8 1991
- African-American Odyssey
Provides pamphlets, first-person accounts, black-and-white photographs, and much more on slavery. Maintained by the Library of Congress.
- Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938
Contains hundreds of first-person accounts of slaver and many black-and-white photographs of former slaves.
- Dictionary of Afro-American Slavery
Rhees Reference Stacks E441 .D53 1997
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of World Slavery
- Rhees Reference Stacks HT861 .M24 1998
- Pan-African chronology : a comprehensive reference to the Black quest for freedom in Africa, the Americas, Europe, and Asia
Rhees Reference Stacks DT17 .J46 1996