Art & Art History
- Dictionary of Art. New York: Grove Dictionaries, 1996.
- Online and ArtRef N31.D5 1996
- Also known as Oxford Art Online, this is the most comprehensive online reference resource for all aspects of the visual arts worldwide from prehistory to the present day. It includes links to images in museum collections, etc.
- Dictionary of Art Terms. New York: Thames & Hudson,2004.
ArtRef N 33.L75 2004
Authoritative reference with over 2000 entries and 400 illustrations.
- Critical Terms for Art History. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2003.
ArtRef N 34.C75 2003
Collection of essays defining "loaded" terms in the history of art, such as sign, meaning, peformance, memory/monument, identity, gender and visual culture/visual studies.
- Cultural Theory; the key concepts. New York: Routledge, 2002.
ArtRef HM 621 .K49 2002
Explains over 350 key terms encountered in cultural theory .
6597Identifies articles on the visual arts and architecture. Some with links to full text.
6598Identifies older articles on the visual arts and architecture.
6599Identifies articles, books, dissertations and exhibition catalogs on art from Impressionism to present.
6602Identifies articles and cited references in selected arts and humanities journals.
6604Identifies articles on architecture and design, history of architecture, city planning.
30896World's most comprehensive bibliography of scholarly writing about the history of Western art from late antiquity to the present.
Other General Indexes
6596Identifies articles, book/media reviews, dissertations on U.S. & Canadian history, many linked to JSTOR or other full-text formats
6669Full text of scholarly journals in the humanities and social sciences.
6738Full text - articles, ads, pictures - of New York Times (1851 - 2007) & other major papers. Click "More" link for their names.
6659Identifies articles on all topics, many with links to full text. Includes articles in scholarly, peer-reviewed journals.
6699Identifies and locates books and other materials owned by libraries in the US and internationally.
- Use Voyager Catalog to search by artist, movement, or subject in Subject, Author, or Custom Boolean Search. Most books classified in the "N" call number (Art) and "TR" (Photography) are housed in the Art/Music Library stacks. Books located at the Charlotte Whitney Allen Library of the Memorial Art Gallery (MAG) and the George Eastman House Library are also listed in the Voyager Catalog. You may request books from the MAG through the Voyager Place Requests button or you can go to the MAG and borrow directly. Books at the George Eastman House Library do not circulate and must be used there.
- Go to Find DVDs and Videos for a quick search of Multimedia Center DVDs and videos.
- DVDs and videotapes in the Multimedia Center (Ground Floor of Rush Rhees), the Memorial Art Gallery Library and at the Sibley Music Library, are included in the Voyager Catalog. Use the limit feature in Voyager to restrict to DVD or Videotape.
- DVDs and videos can be placed on course reserve in the Multimedia Center. To facilitate this, contact Tom Clifford, Multimedia Center, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Memory Project At this site, the Library of Congress offers access to a portion of its photography collection and other historical document collections.
- AP Images containing the Associated Press' photos, most since 1995, and a selection of pictures from their image library.
- Artchive Over 2000 scanned images, links to museum and gallery exhibitions, and other art information
- Artcyclopedia Commercially sponsored site for art/artist information on the web.
- ArtServe This Australian National University server contains over 1.2 gigabytes of data which are not available elsewhere. It offers a variety of image collections and small presentations, all of which deal in some way with Art History.
- ARTstor Content includes over 1,000,000 images covering art, architecture, photography, history, fashion and archaeology. Software tools support teaching and research uses, including: viewing and analyzing images through features such as zooming and panning, saving groups of images online for personal or shared uses, and creating and delivering presentations both online and offline.Using ARTstor
- Britannica Image Quest Access to over one million rights-cleared images from more than 40 of the best digital image collections.
- Finding Images on the Web Extensive web page from Boston Univ. Libraries, with many links to search engines and web pages.
- Getty Digitized Library Collections Digital collections that feature areas of special collections from the Research Library are available online. Digital collections may complement a Research Institute exhibition or focus on a particular artist, subject, collection, or group of collections. In addition to images and other media, they may include contextual and historical information and links to related resources both inside and outside the Getty.
- Google Art Project Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.
- Life magazine An online photo gallery that will feature millions of images from Life magazine's archives.
- Perseus The Perseus Project is an evolving digital library of resources for the study of the ancient world and beyond.
- Rochester Images Database includes 22,000 historical and contemporary images from Rochester and Monroe County. Images were chosen from the collections of the Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County Local History Division, the City of Rochester Municipal Archives and City Hall Photo Lab, the Rochester Museum & Science Center, the Town of Brighton Historian's Office, the Town of Perinton Historian's Office, the Village of East Rochester Historian's Office and the Village of Hilton Historian's Office.
- Rochester Resources
- Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester
- Arts Advocacy, Grants, Research, etc.
- Americans for the Arts This site of the American Council for the Arts covers arts advocacy and education resources. It includes a "hotline" for artists with information on grants and legal issues and a forum to debate issues in public art.
- International Foundation for Art Research
a not-for-profit educational and research organization dedicated to integrity in the visual arts.
- Art and Architecture Schools
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture: Architecture Schools
- Museum Resources
- American Association of Museums
- Art Loss Register
- Art Lover's Guide to Britain and Ireland
- Art Museum Network
- Museum Computer Network Home Page
- Museum Employment Resource Center
- Museum Security Network
- WWW Virtual Library: Museums