Rush Rhees Library
These are the best places to start. These sources can provide a background of philosophical topics and lead you to the most pertinent articles and books.
30797Full text encyclopedia of philosophical topics, including bibliographies.
6714Full text of Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Note: uses British spelling.
30817Full-text collections of high quality, introductory essays covering a wide range of disciplines.
32865Combines the information of an encyclopedia and a bibliography, with introductory essays and a guide to sources.
31385Contains specially-commissioned essays on major topics in philosophy.
33436A customizable general reference solution for librarians and learners offering more than 600 titles from over 80 publishers.
Search much of the library's content in a single search. Search settings can be changed on the results page.
These are the best place for finding articles on your topic. They search scholarly articles within philosophy.
6962Identifies articles and books on ethics, aesthetics, social and political philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysic logic.
6852For off-campus access to full text: Click Scholar Preferences and add Rochester as your Library Link. Be sure to Save Preferences.
6936Identifies Ph.D. dissertations from U.S. and Canadian universities since 1861. Abstracts from 1980. Many with full-text.
6766Identifies journal articles in all areas of the humanities and social sciences.
6572Identifies articles on many subjects with some full text.
- Philosophy Pages - Includes a dictionary and historical timeline of philosophy, also has a study guide and primer for elementary logic.
- Philosophy Papers - A directory to philosophy papers with links to browse the latest journal issues - often has papers before their
- Episteme Links - Links to philosophy resources on the internet. Includes lists of blogs and graduate student papers.
- Philosophy Bites - Podcasts of interviews with top philosophers on a variety of philosophical topics.
- Philosopher's Zone - Podcasts of philosophical topics and philosophical analysis of contemporary issues.
- AskPhilosophers - A site where people ask questions, and philosophers answer. A nice introduction to many philosophical topics,
written in plain, easy to understand language.
- Philosophy DVDs - A list of DVDs about philosophy within our collection.
When writing a philosophy paper, keeping track of your sources is very important. These tools can help:
6832A web-based citation management tool. Export references from databases and format them for papers and bibliographies.
Create your own account by clicking on "Sign up for an Individual Account."