University of Rochester Student Book Collection Award
Purpose: To encourage interest in book collecting among University of Rochester students in all colleges of the University.
Awards: The winning collector will receive $1000 cash, and an invitation to exhibit a selection of the collection at Rush Rhees Library.
- Collections must be owned and collected by the student alone. Collections based on any subject are eligible.
- Judging is based on the collection description and meaningfulness to the collector. The judges are not interested in rarity of items, or their marketplace value; they will be interested primarily in a contestant’s stated purpose and goals, and how well the collection fulfills these intentions.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of volunteers drawn from the University of Rochester faculty and Rochester book-collecting community. Finalists will be expected to show a selection from their collection to the judges. (Time to be arranged by mutual agreement.)
- Collections need not be large or extensive to win. A collection of 20 to 50 titles is typical. Non-book print materials may be included as enrichments to the collection, but must not constitute the majority of items. Textbooks should not be included.
- Entry Form: (PDF File)
- Bibliography of the Collection Using Standard Format: (Author. Title. Publication place: Publisher name, Date of publication.) Additional information such as hard cover or paperback, and condition may be useful. At least 10 of the books should be annotated with a description of the significance of the work and its special interest to the collection or collector.
- Essay: In 2-4 pages, describe the purpose and method of building your collection, why it is meaningful to you, and your ideas for its future development.
- Book collecting is distinct from casual book ownership or the accumulation of books for reading. It may be a grouping of books on a topic, author, genre, binding design or other significant theme.
- We strongly recommend reading this link of one student's description
- Unsure whether you have a winning collection? Take advantage of discussing your collection with a book collecting mentor prior to submitting an entry. Contact the Friends at email@example.com
of how a successful, winning collection was put together.
Deadline for Submission is March 3, 2020.