In addition to supporting the libraries' educational endeavors, you can enjoy a range of library programs and events. Friends can attend:
- The FURL annual meeting and dinner. Share a gourmet meal with companions who share your passion for Rochester’s libraries. Plus, there’s usually a fascinating guest speaker!
- The holiday reading. In early December, Friends gather to listen to selected readings and very talented musicians with great snacks.
- The Neilly Author Series and all other University lectures open to the public, featuring a wide range of fascinating topics, such as the space race, mambo, modern mourning, Mt. Everest, or AIDS.
- Periodic programs, such as receptions at library exhibitions and tours.
The generosity of FURL members has supported the:
- expansion of research and book collections.
- preservation and conservation efforts in the Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation of the River Campus Libraries.
- improvements to libraries' technologies.
- innovative library learning and research spaces.
- acquisition of databases and other non-print formats.
- Undergraduate Research Initiative Award.
- digitization and online cataloging of the libraries' special collections.
2022 Research Initiative Awards
Undergraduate students were recognized for their efforts to manifest Meliora by friends of the Rochester libraries.
Neilly Author Series: Gitanjali Rao
The teen inventor, scientist, engineer, and now author gives us her approach to scientific problem-solving.
Research Initiative Award
Recognizes excellence in the early phases of undergraduate research