In addition to supporting the libraries' educational endeavors, you can enjoy a range of library programs and events. Friends can attend:
- The FURL annual meeting and dinner. Share a gourmet meal with companions who share your passion for Rochester’s libraries. Plus, there’s usually a fascinating guest speaker!
- The holiday reading. In early December, Friends gather to listen to selected readings and very talented musicians with great snacks.
- The Neilly Author Series and all other University lectures open to the public, featuring a wide range of fascinating topics, such as the space race, mambo, modern mourning, Mt. Everest, or AIDS.
- Periodic programs, such as receptions at library exhibitions and tours.
The generosity of FURL members has supported the:
- expansion of research and book collections.
- preservation and conservation efforts in the Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation of the River Campus Libraries.
- improvements to libraries' technologies.
- innovative library learning and research spaces.
- acquisition of databases and other non-print formats.
- Undergraduate Research Initiative Award.
- digitization and online cataloging of the libraries' special collections.
Neilly Author Series: Gitanjali Rao
The teen inventor, scientist, engineer, and now author gives us her approach to scientific problem-solving.
Neilly Author Series: Dayna Bowen Matthew
A leader in public health and civil rights law, Matthew shines a light on racial inequality in health care.